The Lawrence Historical Society was formed on November 28, 1975 as a non-partisan non-profit organization.The Society 's purpose is to preserve and promote the history of Lawrence Township.
Among the Society's historical sites are the 1761 Brearley House, owned by the Township of Lawrence, and the 1830 Port Mercer Canal House, owned by the State of New Jersey.
Annual activities include monthly tours at the Brearley House, holiday events at the Brearley House, awards to outstanding history students, and programs and lectures given to area schoolchildren and the community to promote awareness of local history.
The Historical Society is a member of the Central Jersey Historical Association, a group comprised of 17 historical organizations, that meets twice a year to exchange ideas and information regarding the challenges of running a non-profit historical organization.
The Society's purpose is to preserve and promote the richly diverse history of Lawrence Township by building a bridge from the past to the future.
Board of Trustees